Sunday, December 13, 2015

We often consult about what I should bake on a Friday morning for Friday evening dessert. This time I thought I'd go about preparing Chelsea buns, because my husband is such a huge fan of those yeast-raised, raisin-filled treats. Sheer coincidence had him before I began, suggesting that if I was looking for something to bake, why not Chelsea buns? Perhaps it's not the least bit strange that from time to time we seem to be thinking similar thoughts.


But there are so many various types of sweet desserts that I bake for Friday night dinner, from fruit pies to cream pies, cupcakes to muffins and squares, cakes to fruit crisps, that when our thoughts come together like that it always makes an impression on me that he would pick out at random something that perfectly reflects what I'm thinking as well. On the other hand, since we've been living together rather intimately for sixty years, perhaps not that odd.


So, first thing was to prepare the dough. Softening the yeast in warmed-up-sugar-water, then slightly scalding a half-cup of milk, adding two eggs when the milk has cooled, adding the risen yeast, then a bit of salt, and finally enough flour to make a soft, pliable kneaded dough, and setting it aside to rise in a covered, oiled bowl. When an hour has passed, the dough gets rolled out to a semi-rectangular form, and smeared with butter or a good-quality margarine, then sprinkled with brown sugar, cinnamon, raisins and chopped pecans.


Rolled up, cut into sections and placed into a waiting springform pan that has itself been prepared with ingredients similar to the filling. Again it rises for an hour, and finally goes into the oven at 350-degrees Fahrenheit for a half-hour or until it's well-enough browned and sounds hollow when I knock the top.

Then turned out onto a waiting plate to await dinnertime. It's a simple enough recipe as far as ingredients go, but it is time-consuming, since there are hour-long intervals between various required procedures, but it's also fairly wholesome as a prepared food, and one that my husband particularly responds to.


No comments:

Post a Comment