Wednesday, December 30, 2015

It may seem fatuously absurd, but the question in our minds is how did we get here? Chronologically we've attained the age of 79. Hard to wrap our minds around that simple fact. A year from now, 80. That..is..old! It warps the imagination.

On our honeymoon at Huntsville/Algonquin Park
We get stiff if we sit for too long and have to wait a millisecond to allow our muscles to limber up sufficiently to move when we rise from that seated position. Doesn't help that I tend to sit with my legs under me, in a bit of a crouch. But I've been doing a set of simple physical exercises for the last 50-some-odd years, and no doubt that helps to keep me fluid enough. No problem balancing or moving smoothly along generally.

We've reached the age of 20, married two years
Sometimes when I look at me in the mirror I'm aghast. Sometimes I don't mind, when my brain is informed by my eyes that I look presentable at the very least, and tells my mind so. Sometimes when I look at my husband I feel a bit incredulous. Since we've been together since the age of 14, though that deeply intense intimacy of familiarity is as though I'm looking at myself; similar sensations, similar conclusions.
52 years old, still just kids
If I can't touch him, smell him, hear him, I feel deprived. I always wanted to be around him. And have been for all those years. And the years simply piled up, one atop the other to make us both 79 years of age. Good grief, it's not to be believed. Did we treasure those years sufficiently when we were living them? I surely hope so. We dredge up memories from time to time in a duo of recall and reminisce.

And whenever music is played from the '50s and '60s, he encircles me in his arms, and we dance as we did when we were fifteen. We haven't changed. Though everything around us has.

Still just kids at age 78

No comments:

Post a Comment