Tuesday, December 15, 2015

They're little guys, and nicely defined, but their haircoat grows so swiftly that it takes little time before they begin looking a trifle shaggy. Besides which, their hair grows in tufts between the pads of their little paws and because of our unseasonably mild weather and the constant rain, the clay base in the ravine has become thick with mud. At this time of year we've already usually generated a respectable snowpack over the frozen ground. Not this year.

Jackie left, Jillie on the right
So snipping the hair about their paws neatly helps to keep them clean, requiring just a quick pass with a soft, wet sponge to do the trick in the laundry room after entering the house from our ravine walk. Of course if I'm trimming their paws I've also got to trim their faces, and before I know it, I've once again given them complete haircuts. And they look pretty attractive with their newly groomed appearance. We know we have to appreciate it while it lasts.

And how long does it last? At least a day, perhaps two, three at the most.

Jackie's favourite 'bed' is top of the back of the sofa

Once the haircutting was done and they were released from the dreaded ritual they regained their usual devil-may-care attitudes. The grooming is not one of their favourite tactile experiences. But I have nothing to complain about. They are truly well-behaved throughout the process. On occasion they may feel they can escape before I'm completely finished, and I can't blame them for trying. But holding them firmly between my legs and using a variety of scissors, I'm able to manage every inch of their little bodies until I'm satisfied the work has been done well enough.

'Well enough' is the operative attitude here, and it's just as well I'm not a perfectionist.

Here's Jillie in her favourite bed

No comments:

Post a Comment