Monday, December 10, 2012

Years ago I shopped regularly at one of the big-name supermarkets that kept a large receptacle out in its capacious waiting area out front for the collection of foodstuffs destined for the local area Food Bank.  I felt good about regularly depositing staples that people in need could rely upon as a nutritious source of protein, carbohydrates.  That didn't stop us from sending cheques to the local agency operating food banks; it simply represented another opportunity to aid those needing assistance, and we could afford it.

When we began shopping for our food at the-then-new supermarket that had a focus on food staples at prices far better than mainstream supermarkets it was located in a tight-fit-space.  Although I had approached the manager, asking him to consider placing a receptacle at the front for the collection of food bank staples he was disinterested in following through.  Citing lack of space primarily.  I continued to shop there, and usually the store took part in large food drives or a special drive leading up to Christmas, but nothing more regular.  I had written an email to the main operation but these were franchises, making their own decisions, I assumed.

Last week I was amazed to see in the very large foyer of the same supermarket, now relocated to a far more spacious purpose-built building, that old familiar receptacle inviting supermarket shoppers to deposit food items for Food Bank distribution.  Sometimes in-store personnel are hard to catch, but I stopped a young man whom I've often seen around and had become accustomed to acknowledging, to ask him whether this would be a permanent installation.  He reacted as though he hadn't noticed the receptacle out front, but said he fully approved of it, which was not my query.  He said he had once been in the situation where he needed handouts from that venue, and as a devout Christian he supported it.

His response took me rather aback, both for his casual overlooking of its presence and his assumption that only those with religious persuasions - of whom I am not one - would be devoted to, and involved with aiding the unfortunate within society. 

When, later, I did see the manager (one other than the original I had approached) he himself didn't know whether the presence of the food collector would remain in place beyond the winter month leading up to Christmas.  Leaving me rather perplexed; as a franchise operation who makes those decisions?  I informed him that as a loyal long-time shopper at this particular store (which he was very well aware of, having seen me regularly, weekly shopping) I would very much value the permanent installation of a food-bank collector.

He would convey that information, he said, upward...

No comments:

Post a Comment