Saturday, December 1, 2012

 
This recipe for cupcakes - or variations thereof, and I must confess I did change some basic elements of the recipe, as I often do; more often than not using no recipe whatever other than what I construct in my head for any particular type of cupcake, as a result of my facility with putting together ingredients, a natural outcome of a long familiarity with baking, somewhat like the manner in which a chemist knows his periodic table - produces a gorgeously sumptuous end product.  (I do tend to let sentences run on, don't I?)

Cupcakes: 1 tsp lemon juice, 1/2 cup skim milk, 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened, 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar, 2 eggs at room temperature, 1 heaping tsp.grated lime zest, 1-1/2 tbsp.fresh lime juice, 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped out, 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp. salt,  cup sweetened coconut flakes.
Cupcake frosting:  140 g white chocolate squares, 1/2 cup butter, softened, 4 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted, 1 tbsp.lime juice, 4 tbsp. sour cream, coconut flakes for garnish.

Method: line muffin tins with paper cups, preheat oven to 350F.  Stir lemon juice into skim milk; set aside.  Cream butter, sugar, beat in eggs one at a time; add lime zest, juice and vanilla.  Sift flour, baking powder, salt; add dry ingredients to wet, alternating with buttermilk (lemonjuice/skim milk). Fold in coconut, scoop batter into muffin papers, bake 25 to 30 min; cool in rack when browned.

Melt chocolate, cool to warm, whip butter with chocolate, add confectioner's sugar and mix with lime juice and sour cream.  Smooth over cooled cupcakes and dust with coconut flakes.

I substituted Becel margarine for butter, went a little short on the sugar, used unbleached flour, less of the milk and somewhat less of the amount of flour called for, and liquid vanilla instead of bean, and made about half of the frosting finding it more than adequate for the purpose.  The result was a lovely cupcake, beautiful to look at and even better to enjoy as a dessert.

In the interests of full disclosure, this end-product of an excellent recipe took my fancy when my husband pointed it out to me while we were awaiting attention at our local veterinary clinic.  We then indulged in an anti-social act of purloining said recipe by swiftly tearing the page on which it was printed out of the magazine my husband was perusing.  These cupcakes were the result of ill-gotten gain, you might say.  Tch-tch.

No comments:

Post a Comment