Saturday, December 8, 2012

He is simply unable to contain himself.  In the sense that would enable him to put something away for presentation at a future, suitable, appropriate date.  Say, for example, assiduously shopping around to find a gift that would represent his unequivocal sense of informing the giftee how appreciated they are. 

It's a difficult thing to do, since emotional closeness is demonstrated in other ways.  Love is not bought, nor are symbols of love or symptoms of that state; they are aptly given life by gestures, touches, whispers, and obvious intimate manifestations of dedication to the loved one.

Of those my life has been amply rewarded over the years. 

And now that we are both approaching our 76th year of life, he was faced with yet another dilemma; wanting to gift me with something special, a thoughtful item that might convey to me how much he values our having shared our lives and our love.  He always gets restless this time of year as the date of my birth draws near. 

Last week he explained forthrightly that he was going out to poke around local jewellery shops to see what he might see.  I expostulated as I have in the later years of our lives that I need nothing, want nothing, have more than ample of everything that anyone could wish to own.  A waste of time, anxiety, money to go out and conquer his need to provide me with yet another gift of his timeless esteem for me.

I knew when he returned that he had been successful in his quest.  I said to him that he had that Cheshire grin of satisfaction.  To which he responded that he had every intention of transferring what he had bought from his possession to mine at the earliest possible moment, and he had decided that moment would be last evening, after dinner.

Handing the bag to me, I withdrew the gift-wrapped package as he insisted I unwrap it.  Watching carefully for my reaction as I slowly unwrapped the box, withdrawing a jewellery case, opening it to discover another of the very same item he had chosen for me last year.  Now that was a surprise, and my facial expression surely gratified his choice. 

There will be another gift for me on the very day itself of my birthday, weeks hence.  It will be a birthday card of unusual dimensions and design that he will have undertaken himself to skilfully produce, to provide me with yet another in a long line of such idiosyncratic manifestations of my place in his heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment