Friday, July 1, 2011


Great start this was, to a lovely summer day. On top of the closing hours of yesterday, with concerns about our little elderly dog. We've been administering oral antibiotic to her in a vet-recommended regimen to avoid problems with mouth infections, and it would appear that she has suffered a reaction, although she hasn't done so with previous such administrations.

She had a stomach upset to begin with and it appears to have been exacerbated, and now she has both diarrhoea and has upchucked several times. She is moderately interested in her food, eats a little, but is unable to digest it properly. Because of her advanced age she is also unable to recall that evacuations are done outside, so we've been busy cleaning up incessant messes, to exacerbate our frustrated concern for her well-being.

We spent a restless night, alert to her moving about, and woke earlier than is our habit when she leaped off her bed and I picked her up hurriedly, in my nightdress, and took her immediately downstairs and outside. In my haste in the early morning chill, to return to the house, I was clumsy and tripped on the deck stairs, sustaining a bloody big toe and a bruise and gash on the shin of the same leg.

After breakfast, while washing up the dishes, I wasn't aware that there was a broken glass in the soapy wash-up water, and gashed one of my fingers quite badly. It was difficult to stop the bleeding, and the result is a clumsy, albeit effective bandage. Which meant I wasn't able to wash my hands adequately, nor go about baking the blueberry pie I'd meant to do, nor the bread dough I wanted to produce, since the injury has temporarily left my hand out of commission.

I've always been bruise-and-injury prone, and that hasn't changed one bit.

It just happens to be a national holiday so everything of a commercial nature, and government offices that would normally be open on a Friday, are closed. This afternoon will likely see us going along to the emergency animal hospital across the other half of the city.

These things do happen, unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment