Tuesday, January 22, 2013

On the lookout for greens that were different and could perhaps be an alternate say, to spinach and broccoli, I thought, when last shopping, that the Swiss chard looked interesting. It was robust looking, fresh and attractive, so I bought a bunch, thinking to replace it on the next pizza I prepared, for the spinach that I've been sprinkling, chopped over the other ingredients. It was plain awful. There is an underlying taste to Swiss chard that I find utterly repulsive.

If it is an acquired taste, it is one I have no wish to further explore. Although I did make another attempt. I thought I would try a method that I saw recommended, to saute it gently in a small amount of olive oil in which chopped garlic and onion had already been gently stirred, sprinkle lightly with dried hot peppers and then braise it all for a few finishing minutes.

My husband ate it gamely, and I ate it grimly. It was still awful. While my husband thought it to be a credible alternative to spinach (which we both like enormously), I thought there was little taste-resemblance to the fabled spinach. This is an experiment with a particular vegetable that will not be repeated in this house.

This evening, we will have cheese blintzes prefaced by a large fresh garden salad (as fresh as the ingredients can be, at this time of year, which, given modern delivery and storage methods is fairly respectable). For desert, those wonderful 'cuties', tiny, sweet and tasty clementines hailing from the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment