Saturday, January 19, 2013

My weekly food shopping expeditions at my favoured local supermarket has now been extended marginally to include a weekly deposit into the large cage that now sits in the foyer of the store for food bank collection. I have welcomed its arrival, since I have long agitated for the store to have one placed there, as many other supermarkets do, and this one seemed reluctant to do so.

Just before the Christmas season I was surprised to see that one had finally been put in place. Certainly not because I had asked that this be done, but because, perhaps, someone had thought it might represent a good public relations position.

In any event, it's there. And since its arrival I have been able to take along an extra plastic shopping bag for the sole purpose of filling it up with items that I will deposit in that welcoming cage for non-perishable food product collection. Many years ago when I shopped at a different supermarket I made it a priority to do this on a weekly basis, and I missed that opportunity when I changed over to the current place where I now shop, to take advantage of their really excellent prices.

The choices for inclusion are many and varied, from Kraft dinner packages to packages of teabags, boxes of crackers, tins of salmon, tuna, ham or chicken, and cans of baked beans or spaghetti or soups, and many other items that appear to present themselves as useful selections. Everywhere there are people who must use the anonymous help of strangers to allow themselves to put food on the table because of strained financial circumstances.

And everyone who lives in society should give a thought occasionally to the plight of those less fortunate than themselves. A slight effort, a reasonable expenditure, and aid is given.

No comments:

Post a Comment