Friday, October 5, 2012

Doesn't seem like too much to expect from a general practitioner in the capacity of a family practise.  A simple enough medical procedure.  A patient presents with an infected cyst located just below the epidermis, with the infection hugely visible in the appearance of a large, raised blister, on the cusp of bursting and obviously infected. 

It requires that the physician proceed with a simple enough protocol:  lance, drain, dress, prescribe

In my previous experiences with this cyst that is located on my abdomen wall - two times when this occurred before in the space of a decade - I had not even bothered to go to my family doctor of 30 years' duration, choosing instead to drop in to a more local walk-in clinic.  Where, on each occasion, the physician who attended to me, once a male, the other time a female doctor, proceeded without any fuss to tend to the matter.

My old doctor had retired after a long practise during which time he was our family doctor for forty years.  I had chosen to have a female doctor this time, a young woman whom I thought would be more than adequate to my needs, given that I rarely had occasion to seek medical-health advice in the past.  In the first several months of our relationship I suddenly experienced peculiar symptoms of deep-seated exhaustion.  Her examination turned up nothing amiss.

A day later I admitted myself to the emergency department of our general hospital and was speedily admitted to the Heart Institute for a five-day stay, during which I had two blood transfusions to amend very low haemoglobin and treatment for a bleeding ulcer caused by long-term baby aspirin dosage, then an angiogram done to ascertain whether my heart had been affected.

My new doctor had obviously failed to detect incipient heart problems in a 75-year-old woman.

On this second, less serious occasion two years later, she informed me that I would have to seek the services of an Urgent Care Centre to lance, drain, and dress the abscess she deigned was not in her sphere of operation, although she did prescribe an antiobiotic for me.  Her scribbled note to the Urgent Care Centre as a referral was not accepted by them as proper authorization and caused me hours of time wasted pointlessly and a return to the Centre the following day for the procedure to be undertaken.

Her office staff had not responded to two urgent calls from the receptionist of the Urgent Care Centre that proper referral be sent to them by fax to enable them to proceed.

I sought the services of another doctor, and have had myself de-listed on OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan) with this doctor who has failed to win my confidence as a patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment