Saturday, October 13, 2012

As I moved to the refrigerated fresh juices shelves there was an older couple in conversation; he, looking more worn that his wife was closely examining the sale ticket beside the "not from concentrate" orange juice, a product I too was interested in.  From our common interest we were propelled into a three-way conversation revolving around products and their relative qualities and from there to the inescapable fact of getting on with life as one ages.

He had plenty to say from his vantage point of 85 years of living and our conversation explored the philosophy behind the very practical results of keeping fit, of physically exercising one's body and maintaining a keen interest in the world around us.  He did not appear particularly fit but having attained 85 years of age is no inconsiderable feat in and of itself. 

However, in light of this country's growing aging population and medical science learning and advancing in various techniques in how to prolong life and the quality of life, a fairly good indication of what society in general will be looking like in the future.

When, at the check-out counter, I packed all that I had bought into the three black plastic containers we have used for that purpose for well over a decade, I transferred them with some physical effort to the shopping buggy to be wheeled outside to the car where my husband was waiting in the parking lot with our lone little dog who takes exception to being left alone. 

Juts as I was lifting the third and heaviest of the crates, someone appeared at my elbow, and gently took the authority of possession from my arms, swiftly depositing the heavy crate into the waiting cart.  I looked up to see a tall, fit man of roughly 50, who had taken the initiative to give a moment's assistance to a woman of gentle age, and thanked him for his thoughtful kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment