Tuesday, September 11, 2012

When he was a toddler I found the very sight of him an enchantment of ideal childhood.  Tiny, dark-skinned with perfect features enhanced by huge brown eyes, the very picture of childhood beauty. 

He still retains some of those features, albeit grown from childhood into adulthood.  Imran is now in his third year of university.  He wants to specialize in sports physiology.  Which will mean travelling outside Ottawa to obtain that particular degree.

That will be hard on his parents.  They're extremely attached to their two children.  Their firstborn, Lovaleen, now lives in Toronto with her husband and two very young children of her own. And Mohinder and Rajindar travel to Toronto as often as they can manage to visit with their daughter and her new family.

 Imran's parents dote on him.  His father, who has been retired as a result of physical disabilities for at least a decade, depends hugely on Imran's help in all manner of things around the house.  Imran is a good-natured, biddable young man eager to please and interested in everything around him.  He was involved in soccer and hockey leagues when he was younger but the physical stress of the play cost him dearly.

When, in desperation because I wasn't able on my own to get my email on this new computer up and running, I asked Imran to give me a hand, he came right over.  It's a last-ditch thing for me, to ask for help with the computer, unless it's from one of our two sons whenever they're visiting with us, and somehow my need for assistance just doesn't seem to coincide with any of those visits.

Imran is a dear boy and I admire him hugely but on those rare occasions when I've asked for his help and he obligingly assists me, I invariably discover that something has gone awry elsewhere when he has focused on aiding me in a solution to the problem at hand.  Imran thought I should change my browser to one he prefers; Chrome, rather than Mozilla Firefox, and he made that change after impressing me with the superior qualities of Chrome.

He did eventually get gmail up and running for me.  And I discovered that I hate it, much preferring Outlook Express which Microsoft has changed, I believe, to Windows Live.  My attempts on my own to activate Windows Live hadn't been successful, however.  I also found that I detested Chrome, and although I retained it specifically for gmail for the present, I resurrected Firefox and thus solved some of the problems I encountered using Chrome.

Easy solutions?  Sigh.  There are none.  Isn't that what the cow remarked as it leaped over the moon?

No comments:

Post a Comment