Sunday, September 9, 2012


In this house, never a dull moment.  Dull moments are those peaceful times when nothing is being undertaken in the house to alter its appearance, to add something that was not there previously, or to amend something that does not seem to serve a purpose, or to drive me completely around the bend.  Usually any kind of alteration or addition serves to drive me around the bend.

It's not that I'm averse to seeing things in disarray, that doesn't bother me at all.  What does concern me is when my husband goes off on one of his tangents born of a brilliant idea that he always runs by me first to get my opinion/reaction, and irrespective of my lack of enthusiasm he will nonetheless proceed. It's that intention to proceed with things that pose a risk to his health and well-being that tends to drive me to distraction.

If I protest, he waves away my concern, and then I'm loathe to pursue my fears lest I risk contaminating his self-assurance with my own doubts, fearing that this alone could cause him to falter and end up creating a situation where he does come to harm.  Most things he engages in do require physical strength and some kind of calibrated risk that ensures he will exercise care.

As on this occasion when he has decided that there isn't enough light in our living room for us to comfortably read at night in there.  With more advanced age our eyesight is not quite as acute as it once was, particularly mine, and we do require more direct light to be comfortable, reading.

So he has decided to install two ceiling fixtures to throw additional light.  With most ceilings it isn't a difficult task; with 18-foot ceilings it becomes just that.  So they're to be situated just off the second-floor balcony-hall overlooking the living room, just inside the living room ceiling.  And to enable that to be done requires the use of our double scaffolding.  Out it came again to be set up once more to expedite the latest task at hand.

And now he is in the throes of their installation, of the electrical work that must be done, and he's happily engaged, busy doing something that tests his resolve and abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment