Thursday, August 30, 2012

Well fortified (we thought, as rank amateurs, which we most certainly are) with information gleaned on what precisely to look for based on our use of a family desk-top computer, thanks to our subscription to Consumer Report, we did some preliminary searches close to home, visiting a number of electronic outlet stores to have an idea of the variety, type and prices that we could anticipate in replacing our groaning, prone-to-tantrums 6-year-old HP Compaq Presario.

It's been nursed along through its hysterics and refusals and adamant pouts for well over a year and its incapacity or unwillingness to render any further service has quite impacted its usefulness and our patience.  We thought we'd wait for an impressive sale.  When an advertisement would come our way that listed a 'sale' price for a computer in our hoped-for range of at least $100 in savings, not the measly $20-off come-ons we mostly see advertised.

Of course, the computer would have to have a certain storage capacity, speed, RAM, that kind of thing.  My downfall as far as burdening our computer has been the value I place on securing a place for photographs, all manner of photos, all of which I treasure.  Likely, I should keep them on thumb drives. I have become an inveterate photo-taker.  Digital cameras have made that possible, for me.  I am technologically clumsy to a degree, and these cameras make it possible for me to perform basic functions to produce a superior product.

We went along to the outlet where the computers had been advertised, knowing from what we've read and from previous experience that there would be few at that price, and if we were serious, we should take advantage of the sale while it was still possible.  The young computer salesman who looked after us, answering our (undoubtedly naive) questions was patient, accommodating and helpful.  Of course he did attempt to sell us items we had no interest in.

And when we realized that the price for setting up the computer by the store staff before our taking possession of it wasn't far in expense from the cost of the computer itself, I probed the young man about how difficult it might be for me to do that myself.  He was not encouraging, but nor did he discourage me.  Nor has our habit of taking out a 3-year-extended warranty ever benefited us previously, so we decided to dispense with that, as well.

Now, all that stands before me and my new desk-top is that I manage, with my extremely limited knowledge, to get it up and running.  I figure:  if our granddaughter was able to do it on her own a few years back when we bought her laptop for her, why cannot her grandmother?  Um, yes, I'm well aware of the response to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment