Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I recalled an old recipe for lighter-than-air pancakes that was long beloved by my husband, and decided I'd prepare them for breakfast this morning.  Because they're different, and you don't rely on a pancake mix.  And because our granddaughter is with us again for a week's stay.  She loves her food and I don't recall her ever having tried these pancakes

The recipe is simple enough; three eggs separated, because the whites are beaten stiff.  A tablespoon of sugar, quarter-teaspoon baking soda and one-third cup of flour complete the dry ingredients.  A half-cup of sour cream is added to the beaten egg yolks, then the dry ingredients added, and lastly, the whipped egg whites are gently folded in.  It makes a surprising number of pancake.  The batter can be amended to produce a thin pancake or a thicker one by adjusting the amount of flour; more flour results in a thicker pancake.  They're pan-fried quickly in butter, and assume fluffy finished proportions.

My granddaughter loves to cook, and loves to learn new cooking tips.  She was happy to cook the pancakes and add each panful to a growing mound of finished pancakes.  We had sliced peaches, bananas, and fruit juice beforehand.  Grapefruit juice for my husband; a blend of pomegranate, peach and apricot for her.  They both had coffee and I had tea.

My husband and I enjoyed the pancakes, our granddaughter thought them lacking in flavour, preferring, she said, the finished product of pancake mixes.

No comments:

Post a Comment