Friday, August 17, 2012

She saw it first, brought it to my attention, said she wanted my advice, whether she should buy the Weight Watchers cookbook.  I flipped through it and said she couldn't go wrong with it, and she bought it.  Later, at home in the afternoon she was looking through the recipes and brought some to my attention, and I thought: how did this treasure slip by me?  I said as much and she triumphantly declared it was hers and that was that.  She'll get a lot of excellent use of it, and I don't begrudge it to her, not one iota.  I'll eventually get a copy of my own.

She found a number of recipes that excited her and she shared her excitement with her grandfather.  They oohed and ahhed over the desert recipes and both proclaimed their love of coconut cream pie.  And I agreed to make a coconut cream pie for desert this morning for this evening's meal. Both were immensely pleased.  Granddaughter was eager to help.  And she did.  I learned something useful from that recipe although I didn't follow it scrupulously; for one thing I added a half-cup cream cheese and an additional egg yolk.  The recipe called for an envelope of gelatin and I thought that a fine idea.  The finished product sits now in the refrigerator, awaiting dinner.

Along with a yeast dough enriched with milk and a bit of butter to be used in the production of Chelsea buns to be baked early Saturday morning, for a different kind of breakfast.  Part of that dough, however, will be used as well this evening to put together cheese croissants for dinner.  It too sits in a covered bowl to rise for finishing preparations later in the day.

Granddaughter has promised to eat only one modest-sized croissant and to accept a smaller piece of coconut cream pie, to enjoy both without (sigh) over-indulging.

As if.

No comments:

Post a Comment