Thursday, May 10, 2012

Can't complain this spring that we haven't received enough moisture to encourage green growing things to emerge from the soil.  In the ravine, the scarlet trilliums have made their appearance.  That's the type that seems to thrive in the clay-and-sand soil that prevails there.


On our ramble through the ravine with my brother, who points out to us the botanical names of every species we see thriving there, I was pleased no end to finally see the first of the Jack-in-the-Pulpits that grow in a particular part of the ravine, close by a tributary of the larger creek.  It was barely visible, and had without doubt poked through only the day before, possibly that very morning.

The trilliums that I had years ago transplanted from the ravine to our garden were also in evidence.  I had described to my brother the gigantic size that one of the transplanted Jacks had assumed over the years in our garden, and would have been pleased to show it to him, but knew it would be awhile before it became visible.

So I was truly amazed, when looking in another area where I'd transplanted a few Jacks in the front of our home, to discover that those two, robust beyond those in the ravine, had come along and were quite visible.

The foamflowers that I had also transplanted years earlier have naturalized as well in our gardens, and they've spread enormously, giving us a delightful showing in the early spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment