Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Image
 
By early afternoon, the rain finally lifted, although the dark-sky-menace remained and so did the wind. Suddenly Jackie and Jillie rang up a pitched volume of barking, of the kind that could only mean someone was at the front door, though no doorbell rang. I shooed them away and opened the door to two young men both wearing bright red jackets with the logo of Rogers internet service providers. One of the  young men was dark complexioned, the other light; black-hair and blonde. It was the dark young man who spoke, the other leaving it to him.

I had the impression that the one speaking was 'teaching' the other how to change a potential client's mind from 'thanks very much, I'm satisfied with my present service provider' as the sales pitch went on even though I repeated time and again we're not looking to change, and are perfectly satisfied with the service we have. Rogers, in my memory hasn't a sterling reputation and I simply wasn't interested. I  remarked it was obvious they're university students engaged in a summer job, and wished them luck.

That brought an engaging smile from the young blonde man, but it didn't stop the other from switching to a new tack, assuring me that my neighbours said they were dissatisfied and were interested in switching to Rogers. He was becoming downright obnoxious, and it was at that point, that Irving who had been in the family room and overheard the lengthy conversation and no doubt my exasperation, came along and gruffly invited them to move on.

We moved on ourselves not long afterward, to take advantage of a gap in the rain. Which had begun last night and carried on throughout the night, continuing in the morning and into the early afternoon. So everything was well irrigated: read thoroughly soaked. On came the puppies' raincoats in case rain started up again while we were out, and off we went. We've passed the zenith of the forest colour. More bright foliage brought down by the copious rainfall.
 
Image
 
The brightly coloured foliage that plushed the forest trail had already begun to fade, and now newfallen leaves glow gold and red on top of those no longer fresh. The wind probed its fingers through the forest canopy and a steady shower of freshly detached leaves filled the air, languorously swirling through the air to join their cousins below.
 
The air felt freshly scrubbed, and although it was quite cool first thing in the morning, a warming trend has arrived and the frosty nip of previous days was absent, making for a relaxing and serene walk through the trails. And then it was time to return home. I had planned, despite that everything was so wet, to continue working on garden clean-up. We've so many hostas to be cut back that my previous work didn't tend to them all. 
 
So I cut back roses, and hostas and remaining hydrangeas, and before I knew it there were four full compost bags lined up to await collection. Just yesterday that collection had carried off four bags I'd previously filled, the week before. But it's taking me closer each time I set aside a few hours for the garden, to completing the entire task. Neighbours walking by stop awhile to chat, and then I resume, until I feel enough has been accomplished for the day.

Image

No comments:

Post a Comment