Saturday, May 20, 2023

Yesterday was just so satisfying, a beautiful weather day that we were able to make the most of. Not only enjoying being out-of-doors, but doing the things we most appreciate in this approach to mid-Spring. A truly glorious day of sun splashing its brilliance and warmth over the landscape. There are things to do, and we did them with huge enthusiasm.

Jackie and Jillie had their afternoon run through the forest on this most perfect of weather days when birdsong warbled through the atmosphere in a deserved appreciation of rescue from winter's ravages. They love the freedom of wandering about assuaging their curiosity, accompanying us at times at our place and at other times at the pace that reflects their interests.

Today? Different story. Where yesterday we were all busy preparing our own very personal little garden landscape for the coming season, frenetically planting beautiful annuals, the puppies supervising, and we two, Irving and I consulting to make the most of colour, texture and architecture options, gently digging fresh new plants into the prepared soil that now filled the urns and garden pots, a glow of happy satisfaction warming us, today a different story ensued.

We knew it would rain today. Which made it all the more convenient to plant as many of the annuals as we could manage, yesterday. And we did quite well, in fact, though there's still more to be planted. The garden itself, for example. We broke off finally when we had accomplished what we'd set out to do; gain a start on the planting process. Once back in the house we took to peeking out the front door every time we passed it, to glimpse the delightful sight of bright pops of colour looking back at us, from the garden.

Today, from morning to night the rain was relentless. Jackie and Jillie were, as usual, loathe to step outside. Raincoated, I carried Jillie outside every time we figured or they gave us indication of a need to get them out; Jackie is more ready to acquiesce, when he sees me going out. The 4-1/2 foot-high space under the deck is where they head for, where they're sheltered from the rain. Once back in the house and towelled down, life returns to normal.

Oh, how I ached for the opportunity to get out and continue planting,  hoping for a lull in the rain. Instead, there were other distractions to keep me busy; not my first choice, but awaiting my attention. I don't wear pants other than to the ravine, and instead wear long skirts in the house for winter warmth and that winter wardrobe needed to be washed and put away. Did that. I went back to emptying out kitchen cupboards for my spring cleaning ritual. Lots of cupboards, it takes time. 

I gave myself a manicure. I did some reading to supplement what I'd already done. And although they had already been given their fresh vegetable salads, while I was preparing a vegetable soup for dinner, Jackie and Jillie haunted me at the kitchen sink, implored me to consider their insatiable appetite for more vegetables.

All together, the day looked after itself quite handsomely. And there's always tomorrow, when light showers have been forecasted, so could be I'll get the chance to do some planting and we'll be able to get out for a foray through the forest trails, then! Fixated on gardening -- me?



No comments:

Post a Comment