Thursday, November 10, 2016

So, that's a milestone to celebrate. Today marks the seventh week that has passed since my husband underwent open heart surgery for a double bypass and valve replacement. The journey since then has seemed to him to be interminable, anxiety-ridden for someone impatient to return to his former vigorous self; the way he was up until the day of surgery.

We had an appointment with our family physician on Monday, who reviewed all the medications, including the temporary ones my husband is taking, and he wanted another blood test done, this time to inform him whether or not any of the medications might be causing secondary effects, so the morning after we went in for a fasting blood extraction.

And today we kitted our two little puppies up in sweaters against the brusque wind that is making this already-cold, albeit sunny day feel closer to winter. On went their halters and off we went with them. Usually I take them out to the ravine so they can ramble about on a forested trail, and afterward I go out with my husband for a circuit on the block around our house and several streets over. We walk without them on the street, so I can give my full attention to my husband; he cradles my arm inside his elbow and we note day-by-day the changes in the neighbourhood as trees divest themselves of their fragrantly colourful burden.


Today, instead of separate walks, Jackie and Jillie walked with us; my husband holding Jillie's leash because she behaves better than her brother who has a penchant for slipping about here and there and everywhere, requiring that I guide him by a small leash-tug back where he should be. It's different when I just walk them on leash up to the entrance to the ravine and again when our hike is over, from the ravine exit to our home, down the street. Because walking on the street and bypassing the ravine is a change from their usual routine, it's puzzling for them; they haven't yet figured it out.


And afterward, my husband and I went to the supermarket for our weekly grocery shopping, and this time he didn't just drive me there, go back home and return in an hour to pick me up with the groceries; he felt fit enough, he declared with suitable conviction, to remain with me, and help with the shopping. And he did.

As I say, another milestone!

No comments:

Post a Comment