Thursday, February 4, 2016

Many years ago I had a subscription to Canadian Living magazine for a number of years, and I used to look forward to receiving them through the mail as an especial treat, to read the articles and look for intriguing new meal preparation recipes. It's been a long time since I've seen one of those issues and I'm not terribly interested in leafing through those pages at this stage in my life.

Last time my husband was at the library he saw that they were ridding themselves of old issues. So, of course he thought about me, and scooped up a handful of the magazines to bring back home with him. Along, of course, with irresistible books the library was also selling off for a pittance, some donated, some representing books they were clearing off their shelves.

He thought I'd be delighted; interested at the very least, but I wasn't. After a mental shrug he sat down himself with the issues and went through them, tearing out pages of recipes that he thought looked intriguing and that I might be interested in trying out. Truth is, he showed me a handful of recipes that I knew I'd like to try. So I started off a few days ago with one that looked promising to both of us.


The recipe was titled 'Southwestern Cauliflower Cakes', and I set about putting it together. Half a cauliflower head was to be steamed in bite-size pieces, then mashed with a potato masher. Two eggs, 1 tbsp. grainy mustard, 1 tsp. chili powder, 1 clove garlic crushed and 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper later, along with 3/4 cup of breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels and 1 tbsp. chopped dried chives later, I had the makings of cauliflower pancakes. I went considerably shorter on the breadcrumbs, and added a half-cup freshly grated Parmesan along with thinly sliced green onion, though.

And then set about forming the pancakes, not as the recipe suggested, to come out with a dozen small cakes, but making more robust ones, so that there were five good-sized pancakes. And then they were briskly browned in olive oil, placed on and covered over with paper towelling to drain excess oil, and served.

But not before we'd had a nice fresh little salad featuring avocado, cucumber, tomato, carrots and lettuce. Followed once the cauliflower main course pancakes were consumed, by clementine wedges.

I'd make those pancakes again, but I would likely use a smaller garlic clove. Irving thought that garlic, despite the other ingredients, overpowered the pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment