Wednesday, March 18, 2015

It's one of our longstanding traditions in this house. On Saturday night I roll out the pizza dough I've prepared the day before and which has been awaiting use until then, in the refrigerator. While I do that, sprinkling cornmeal lightly over the surface of the pizza pan, then smoothing tomato paste over the rolled-out dough and sprinkling it with mixed herbs and a light dusting of hot pepper flakes, my husband is busy chopping vegetables; bell pepper, mushrooms, tomatoes and a few sticks of pepperoni. We use a combination of Parmesan, provolone and mozzarella in the preparation of our pizza, and enjoy it at leisure, finishing off the meal with red seedless grapes.

That night I soak the beans or peas I'll be using the day after, Sunday, in preparation of a hearty soup for dinner. Last Sunday it was whole yellow-pea soup and accompanying it my husband had smoked salmon on rye while I had a grilled cheese sandwich, then we had strawberries for dessert.

The following day we had dinner consisting of a fresh vegetable salad with lots of balled avocado and blue cheese, alongside a cheese-onion omelette, with (leftover) apple pie for dessert.


And then on Wednesday I decided to bake almond (ground almonds) sugar cookies to complement the strawberry-grape-Mandarin fruit cup we'd have for dessert that day. And I did a small roast beef, Yorkshire pudding (which my husband loves), and green beans for dinner.

Tonight the menu has us eating another fresh salad, similar to the one we enjoyed on Monday. And the main course will be traditional Jewish potato latkes which I'll complement with freshly-made applesauce and thick sour cream. For dessert, mandarin oranges.

Tomorrow we'll have breaded baked haddock and oven-baked yam and yellow potato chips, alongside an acorn squash. With balled melon for dessert.

Which leaves Friday with its conventional (for us) chicken-soup-and-rice starter for dinner, followed by baked chicken glazed with ginger, chopped onion, sliced tomatoes, soy sauce and olive oil accompanied by a potato pudding and baked cauliflower. The dessert for Friday has yet to be considered; likely blueberry pie.

A week's menu...!

No comments:

Post a Comment