Saturday, July 26, 2014

All local supermarkets advertised imported sweet cherries on sale last week. I have been buying them for the past while and we've been enjoying them as fresh-fruit desserts unadorned by anything additional for dinner lately as a change from the more readily obtainable fruits in all seasons. But last week I bought a really large amount of cherries. I had intended to bake a cherry pie with a portion of what we had been enjoying.

But then my husband was out doing a little shopping of his own and he brought home a goats-milk cheese roll. He enjoys all manner of cheeses, but not the cheese he had brought home. He hadn't looked closely enough and instead of plain goats-milk cheese, it just happened to be lime-lemon enhanced cheese he had bought. I said he'd like it, just give it a try. He did and said it tasted to him very much like cheesecake and although he enjoys cheesecake, he likes his cheese unadorned by anything added if it isn't pepper or chives.


Use it, he suggested to me, to bake a cheesecake, so I agreed. And as I did I thought, oh well, there goes my cherry pie baking session. But no, I thought again, why not combine them? And so that is precisely what I did yesterday morning. I baked a cheesecake using that goats-milk lime-lemon variety; with eggs, sour cream, vanilla and sugar it turned out to be a quite creditable effort. Particularly when I prepared the cherries to spill over the cheesecake, once it was baked and sufficiently cooled out of the oven.


It presented as a very nice dessert that my husband appreciated. I did too, other than that I could still detect the sharp taste characteristic of goats-milk. Now that that experiment ended with a degree of success, we'll continue to enjoy the cheesecake for the next few days, but I don't think I'll be in too much of a hurry to bake another goats-milk cheesecake.

No comments:

Post a Comment