Saturday, July 20, 2013

Yesterday afternoon the predicted thunderstorms descended with a vengeance. Rolling thunder with serious intent roiled the airwaves and lightning informed us that these, one after another, would be no ordinary rain events. When the rain descended it was copious; large drops of rain crowding one another in one furious wave after wave of assaults from the dark vault above.

We experienced warning flickers of energy loss; our electricity was cut off several times, but was swiftly restored. One of those occasions was when I was speaking with my granddaughter who had called on her cellphone to inform me their power was out entirely. There was a tremendous clap of thunder nearby as I sat with the telephone close by the patio doors streaming with rain so thick that vision was almost obliterated.

The scene outside was dark and menacing. I admit to finding it not the least bit threatening; I have always enjoyed the amazing spectacles that such storms presented.  Lightning informed me, however, that I might wish to move my position, and then the house lights went off with a pop, and the telephone connection clicked off.

Later, in the evening, after a series of thunderstorms had passed and we were informed by Environment Canada that the threat of ongoing storms hadn't abated and were expected to continue throughout the night, along with a watch on potential tornadoes setting down, we ventured out during a break in the celestial proceedings. The sky was aflame with bright fire, the moon visible above our garden sheds, and the intense heat of the day had dissipated to a pleasant, cooling breeze.

We walked along together to inspect the damage accrued in the gardens, and to make note of what would have to be tied up, cut back, tidied up the following day. And today, after a lengthy ravine walk, I can say: mission accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment