Thursday, March 29, 2012


I've always been curious about recipes printed in the newspapers in the Lifestyles sections published on a weekly basis. Many of the recipes are of little interest to me, but some of them do pique my interest and invariably I carefully scissor them out and set them aside for use at some future time. Often enough after once trying a recipe I tend to discard it, having no further interest in it, the result of trying it not quite hitting the mark in its completed state.

On the latest occasion it was a recipe for a 'goat cheese and herb bread' that took my fancy. In fact, though it was a bread dough, the finished product were fair-sized buns. The dough itself was that of an egg-loaf, comprised of milk, yeast, sugar, flour, salt, butter and egg yolks. When raised and rolled out into medium-sized rounds, they were to be filled with a mixture consisting of goat cheese, pesto, softened butter, snipped sun-dried tomatoes, chopped garlic cloves and a herbal combination of basil, thyme, chives, parsley.

That done, they were brushed with egg white, sprinkled with poppy seed (and for just two, additional sprinkles of rosemary), then baked until brown. Aromatic they most certainly were, and the resulting product sensuously tasty.

Would I bother with them again? Perhaps, but leaving out the pesto, since it proved to be too pungently robust a combination for my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment