Thursday, March 15, 2012

























I am not the least bit personally familiar with the interior of a beauty salon. Those times in the past sixty years that I have entered such an enterprise have been few. Invariably, I've been dissatisfied with what the skilled technicians accomplish in dealing with my hair, so I have become accustomed long ago to simply cutting and styling my own hair, by myself. A hand mirror used alongside a wall mirror does the trick nicely.

When our granddaughter was in our daily care I used to cut her hair, as well. She's considerably older now, in her mid-teens, so her preference is to have her hair done professionally, and I can't blame her. I certainly cannot do what the professionals manage to. And her outcomes are always successful. So I accompanied her to our local hairdressing salon, and waited there, reading the newspapers while she had her hair done.

It's a large, airy place, very high-tech, well lit, modern decor. The personnel, the young women who work there are outstanding in their behaviour toward the clients that come through their doors. And the clients are numerous, the place is constantly full of people having their hair done, both men and women, although needless to say women predominate in their numbers. The young women are attractive, well dressed, and display impeccable social manners.

What struck me, however, as I waited there comfortably enough, reading the papers, was the decibel level; continuous and loud, so loud I wondered that people didn't find it offensive. It wasn't simply the music, that contemporary music that defies pleasurable listening in any event; it was more background than anything, with its usual thump-thump obscuring any melody, to be frank.

Actually, it was that in combination with the sound of all the electronic gadgetry that is used at the various hairdressing posts, along with the elevated chatter of women intent on making themselves heard. I found it, in fact, quite astonishing that the din didn't seem to bother anyone at all, it seemed to be noticed by me alone.

And since I couldn't do much about it, I simply ignored it and continued reading.

Just wonder, however, what the risk is to the young women working there, on the possibility of future hearing loss as a result of their constant exposure....


No comments:

Post a Comment