Friday, January 13, 2012





This morning I used the last of my daughter's apples from her countryside apple tree. They were still as crisp and fresh as the day we plucked them off her tree. They're extremely large apples, looking like a cross between a Northern Spy and a Macintosh apple. Round and juicy and so large that four apples are more than enough to make for a bursting apple pie.

I'm not certain how unique this method for preparing apple pie filling is to me alone, but it certainly works well for me. I mix together a half-cup to two-thirds cup sugar and three tablespoons of cornstarch, along with a third-cup of cranberry juice, and over that mixture I cut into bite-sized pieces the prepared apples. I never peel apples, just scrub the skin, since the skin contains valuable minerals and vitamins.

This is cooked slowly over a low heat until the sugar-juice mixture has thickened and the apples have cooked nicely. While still hot, I add plenty of cinnamon and a nice pat of butter, and allow it to cool. And that's when I set about preparing the pie crust. Before filling the bottom crust with the apple filling I add dark, large Thomson raisins, finally put the top crust in place, and bake until the crust is flaky and browned.

My husband waxes ecstatic over the aroma that pervades the house, and assures me time and again how much he loves apple pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment