Saturday, January 28, 2012


I've a habit of scrutinizing the cash register receipt detailing our weekly food purchases at the supermarket where we usually do most of our food shopping. For the most part I find nothing amiss; I am enabled to identify food items through the print-out, and the prices charged. And I remember what the prices should be, so that if there is an error I can focus on it.

Studies have been conducted with respect to inaccurate pricing of items purchased at supermarkets and the general conclusion was that there are often inaccuracies, but they tend to balance out. Some occur in favour of the store, others favour the purchaser. And studies have concluded that it is generally the consumer that comes out ahead. Consoling, but in my experience, not true. I have seldom come across incidents where an error has been in my favour.

Last week's cash register receipt caught my eye when I saw a charge of $17.95 for two bags of frozen haddock. That fish was advertised on sale at half-price; $4.99 each, which was why I bought two of them. Clearly, whoever was responsible for inputting the weekly sales data in the store's computer hadn't done their job properly. We returned the following week for our usual shopping bringing with us both the advertisement and the cash register receipt, to claim an overcharge. Obviously, most people who bought that fish paid full price rather than the sale price, given our experience.

We, however, were the only customers of the supermarket who returned requesting a refund, since most people don't take the time to peruse their receipts. Understandable, in a busy world with not enough time to discharge all of our obligations and duties, and find, somewhere in the chaos a little time for relaxation. And those people who do discover they have been overcharged usually do the metaphorical shrug, feeling the energy required to return with the receipt claiming an overcharge of a dollar or half-dollar simply isn't worth it.

On yesterday's cash register receipt there was another error. I had bought two canary melons, on sale, 2 for $5.00. Except the sale price hadn't been inputted and I was charged the full price of $2.99 each. This receipt too will be brought to the attention of the store's service department.

No comments:

Post a Comment