Monday, April 25, 2011


It's a thankless task. One abhorrent to most people; either to agree to volunteer themselves as door-to-door canvassers on behalf of a charity or for ideological purposes, religious or political - or to welcome that knock on the door of their privacy looking for support. Little wonder the vast majority of people don't respond to the request to become involved in their community through volunteering in that particular way.

I know what it's like to start a campaign to raise funds for a charitable medical-social cause. I've done it from the ground up. And I did realize a satisfying measure of success, managing somehow to vitalize people into the concept that we have an obligation both to ourselves and to the wider community to become involved. If not us, then who? Precisely. But that was forty years ago.

And since then I've been involved at a periphery level in so many campaigns for so many charitable service and medical causes. I sigh to myself that it's time my neighbours took their turn. Yes, we live in a busy world but it was no less busier when I became involved as a very young woman. I am no longer that young woman. It means little to me to receive awards certifying my long involvement.

My husband has for years asked me to give it a rest. I've vowed to no longer be involved. But when those calls come, there are too few who respond, and guilt pricks my conscience, so once again I take up the slack. No sooner have I completed one obligation to a singular cause then another raises its head asking for a like dimension of support.

Have I yet mentioned how much I detest going out there knocking on doors, becoming the recipient variously of welcome or scorn for my efforts? Those efforts on behalf of the very people who cannot spare anything of themselves. Who take, but give nothing themselves.

So, where are all those responsible members of society anxious to ensure that their efforts make for a better, more hopeful society?

No comments:

Post a Comment