Thursday, February 8, 2024

 
We've lucked in lately. We've been enjoying a succession of perfect winter weather. The temperature hovering slightly above or below freezing, and full-on  sun exposure out of a perfect sea of blue. The winter winds that seemed so constant have been tamed of late. The large windows of our house have welcomed the sunlight streaming through, warming the interior. But of course as soon as dusk arrives -- although it's coming along at least an hour later than it did in mid-December -- the light and warmth of that giant life-giving orb disappears, and everything cools down again. Night-time lows are still hovering around -10C.
 

When we were shopping, Irving picked up some beef liver. Reminding me we haven't had a meal of liver in a while. And he loves it dredged in herbed and seasoned crumbs and served alongside fried onions. He also enjoys the combination of sweet-and-sour beets with it, and mashed potatoes. So that settled what we were going to have for dinner last night. He never eats to excess, although I have a tendency to. We had little bowls of raspberries for dessert. An indulgence of bright tastes and colour.
 
 
I had an appointment to see a nurse-practitioner this afternoon at 3:00 p.m., so we managed to get out for our daily ravine hike with the puppies at one o'clock to give ourselves plenty of time outdoors. The high for the afternoon was 4-lovely-degrees under that cerulean sky that heals all psychological wounds; at least temporarily. We've got to continue wearing those wicked cleats over our boots, otherwise we'd be slipping and sliding and trying to gain traction where none is to be had. Even the puppies, wearing their little rubber boots against the cold, did a little slipping on the iced trails. The sun, glancing off the ice-slicked snowpacks makes it appear like a soft billowing wave of sheer ice.

 
There are now little hemlock cones fallen everywhere on the forest floor, joining the spruce and pine cones that fell earlier. No shortage of food for the squirrels and other wildlife this winter. On a sadder note, the signs of a carnivore's feast are still evident on a small area of one of the trails and we wince every time we pass it. Jackie and Jillie have taken to nibbling on thin twigs newly fallen and revealed with  the snow shrinkage responding to the weather. Most dogs like to chew on wood, but their tracheas are so narrow because they're such small dogs. So last night Jackie was doing that kind of hacking cough trying to dislodge a sliver of the wood, and today Jillie threw up her breakfast along with wood slivers.
 

Later in the day, for my appointment, we were introduced to new concepts in shopping. The professional medical group where our MD practices is located within a Great Canadian Superstore complex not far from our home. This huge sprawling complex has closed off all of its entrances and exits but one; in an attempt, we believe, to deter shop-lifters, a 'sport' that has become all too common, along with an epidemic of car-jackings.
 

At the clinic, I saw a nurse-practitioner, not our general practitioner -- by choice. She was very good, an earnest young woman whom I really liked. My shoulder is slowly improving. The rotary-cuff damage I incurred a week ago on top of the harm I did a month earlier while shovelling snow, is getting a little better. There are certain arm movements I have to prevent for the time being. Otherwise, I'm able to move my arm fairly well, and I've no problem sleeping at night. She recommended a prescribed pain killer, but I don't feel I need a pain killer. And she also prescribed physiotherapy, although I'm not convinced I want to do that, either.

I'll just give it more time. I must admit having an aching shoulder isn't much fun. There are things I can't really do at the present time. Cleaning the house properly, for example. While we were out in the ravine one of the Goldens that loves Irving came loping by for cookies. He's a really enthusiastic fellow, and he gave my arm a shock when he leaped at me in a frenzy of joy the first time. The second time, after he ate a few cookies, he leaped again, this time driving his face into mine and licking my eyes before I could really react. No harm done.



No comments:

Post a Comment