Friday, December 1, 2023

 
Now that we're locked into leaving 'daylight saving' time for the duration of the winter, we bemoan having standard time imposed. We're late risers, tending to stay up late at night and the consequences of moving time forward an hour is not a happy time for us. It's mostly my fault that we retire to bed so late at night, since I find it the most congenial time for me to write on my blogs. Having done so, and expended my mind's energy for the day, I quickly fall into a deep, comfortable sleep at night.

We also have our dinner much later than most people would. Any time after 7:00 p.m. We take our time enjoying our meals, and eventually get around to other things. Irving does a lot of reading, and he watches drama series on his computer screen. We just never at any time, watch television. I do some catching up on the social media site I'm accustomed to, and then settle down to writing; it's a release of tension and relaxing for me. Much as what occurs when we're out every afternoon in the ravine with our puppies.


Last night I decided to make a fish paella and that kind of comfort food more or less sets the stage for the evening hours. The meshing of flavours from the vegetables, the seasonings and the fish make for an agreeable meal. We both love rice in any kind of meal combination. I use short-grain, sticky rice for some applications, but for the paella it's long grain rice that works best. Chopped garlic and onion simmered in olive oil begins the process, followed by chopped bell pepper and tomatoes, sprinkled with herbs, hot smoked paprika and saffron.

Once the vegetables have been reduced, in goes the rice, mixed with the slurry, and then chicken stock.  Once the rice has been cooked, the fish is added. I usually use haddock and shrimp. The final addition is frozen green peas. The result is a colourful, flavourful meal that doesn't need much of anything else to complete it, other than fresh fruit for dessert.
 

After breakfast today comprised of oranges and bananas and bowls of hot oatmeal, coffee and tea, I decided to bake butter tarts. They're favourites with both of  us. I rolled out the pastry dough, cut rounds, fitted them into paper cupcake forms in a large-size cupcake/muffin tin, added raisins, and then poured the batter over. While I was preparing the filling something nagged at me, and it wasn't until I had the cupcakes in the oven that I realized I'd forgotten the butter...of all things.
 

This has been a tardy day all along. It seemed as though we were both pretty busy. I spent some time on the Internet aside from some rudimentary cleaning, and by the time we were prepared for our afternoon walk, it was close to four in the afternoon. Precisely when dusk falls. We knew that in another ten minutes it would be dark. So, for the first time in ages, we grudgingly agreed to taking a walk on the street. If there had been snow down we would have been able to manage the ravine; the glow from city lights hitting the sky and bouncing off the snow in the ravine would provide enough light, but not with no snow.
 

So we were reduced to taking Jackie and Jillie through the neighbourhood instead, in a circuit somewhat resembling a forest circuit. We came across a few neighbours doing the same, and stopped to chat awhile. It was also interesting to see the Christmas decorations that some homes are festooned with at this time of year. Some quite imaginative, and some managing to convey an attitude of quiet comfort.

Jackie and Jillie didn't seem to mind this alternate to their usual forest romp, although they had to be on leash. They were both curious about all the odours they detected, and sashayed here and there to satisfy their curiosity. That kind of walk would never be our first choice, but until the snow flies seriously and begins to remain, leaving a winter snowpack, it's an alternative.



No comments:

Post a Comment