Thursday, September 21, 2023

I thought of preparing broccoli to go along with yesterday's dinner, but decided on asparagus spears instead. Not to feel like 'punishment' served alongside the corned beef that Irving so much enjoys. I try not to make it too often because although it tastes very good I don't consider it to be the healthiest of meals. I had meant to do a little roast for dinner, but Irving suggested corned beef.  We buy it already spiced, and the preparation is simple enough, simmering the roast, covered in water for two to three hours, depending on its size. This was a small one.

We had fingerling potatoes with it, along with the asparagus. And fresh sliced prune plums for dessert. A decent enough meal, one that Jackie and Jillie repeatedly offered to share with us. As usual Irving slips them tidbits under the table. I'm not supposed to notice. Strange, that; Jackie had a bit of an upset stomach this morning, refusing breakfast, and when we went out for our ravine walk, he looked for grass to nibble to settle his stomach.

The temperature went down to 10C last night, fairly cool, but it worked its way back up to 19C by the time we prepared to go out for our toddle through the forest trails. Today's laundry day, so I did all four loads and dried most of them before we set out. On yet another wonderfully fine late summer day. The temperature may be on the cool side, but it's mid-September, after all, and the sun made up for it.

The garden looks pleased about it all. When I look out at the garden in the morning through the front door I can hardly tear my eyes away. The combination of form, texture and colour capture my attention and I just enjoy standing there, looking at it. And the thought invariably creeps into my mind that in about a month there'll be nothing left to look at. So I might as well enjoy it while I can...

In the forest the sun enlivens the still-green screen of the forest canopy. Himalayan orchids are still in bloom, and we were somewhat surprised to see that there are thimbleberries still ripening, and ready to be plucked. Bees are everywhere, taking advantage of all the fall asters and pilotweed still fresh and bright. There are even some fresh sprays of fleabane inviting bees to come and visit.

There's no lack of intriguing smells for Jackie and Jillie to investigate as they veer from one side of the trails to the other and make the occasional spurt into the forest after a squirrel, much quicker than they are. The water in the creek is at a peculiarly low level given the rain we'd had in the previous two days, but it has a tendency to ebb and then return to full flow.



No comments:

Post a Comment