Wednesday, October 20, 2021


I like to keep our meals varied and interesting; above all nutritious. When we were speaking with our younger son Sunday evening, he said he was baking a quiche for dinner. He too likes to keep his menu varied, interesting and nutritious and he's quite capable of doing that. Come to think of it, all our children are fine cooks, and so is our granddaughter. When we were out in the ravine on Monday, Irving said to me he could read me like a book. How so? He heard my interest piqued when I responded saying we haven't had quiche in a while, and he was certain that's what I had planned for Monday's dinner.
 

He was a little off base. Before we left for the ravine I had put a small roast in the oven, and because it's one of his favourites I planned to bake a Yorksire pudding to go with it. And did, along with Frenched green beans and fresh pineapple cubes for dessert. The quiche will have to wait. It's not one of his favourites, anyway, and he was relieved to be told that wasn't the plan at all. 

I tried something a little different for yesterday's dinner. I really love casseroles and those that have vegetables and lots of cheese in them are my favourites. Elbow macaroni comes to mind, and it's a perfect combination with a cheese sauce. But my husband barely picks at it, while I scoop it into my mouth savouring the texture, fragrance and taste. So yesterday I cut a cauliflower into florets and pre-cooked it in the microwave for 6 minutes. The idea was to substitute cauliflower for pasta.
 

I mixed the caulflower with chopped green onion, frozen green peas, lots of freshly ground pepper, sour cream and grated sharp cheddar cheese. Then I spread half of the cauliflower mixture into a casserole dish, opened a tin of Sockeye salmon, broke it into small pieces and spread it over the cauliflower. On top of which went the other half of the cauliflower mixture. Baked for 40 minutes at 350F, it was flavourful and hit all the right taste notes. Leaving me really pleased with myself when Irving ate almost all of his serving along with sliced tomatoes.
 

It was so chilly last night we decided it was time to begin covering Jackie and Jillie with a fluffy blanket at bedtime. All the more reason, since they were at the groomer's yesterday and their haircoats are now quite short. When we awoke this morning they were both well snuggled under the blanket, so that'll be the comfort formula for bedtime for the next few months until spring eventually arrives.
 

Irving went out to cut the grass after breakfast. After yesterday's icy wind and 7C temperature, we could hardly believe the sun had finally elbowed its way through yesterday's deep cloud cover ordering the clouds to revert to puffy, white marshmallows. When I had finished deep-cleaning the bathrooms I went out too, to the backyard with the puppies and went on another garden cut-back spree, filling up another two giant compost bags with the residue. Jackie and Jillie mostly sunned themselves on the deck.
 

Until it was time for our trek through the ravine. I felt absolutely bushed, really tired, with a sore back and aching hands. Somehow that all dissipated as we reached the ravine and began making our way through the trails. Glad to see that there wasn't all that much change from yesterday; the colourful leaf confettied forest floor is still delightful. The trails are beginning to dry a bit. We have a day without rain, a day where the temperature soared to 17C, with light wind. And it felt wonderful.
 

By the time we returned home I felt quite rejuvenated. Earlier, I had cut chicken thighs (skinned, deboned) into slivery chunks and marinated the chicken in soy sauce, garlic and olive oil. On our return home I pre-prepared vegetables for a stir-fry for tonight's dinner; red bell pepper, snow peas and mushrooms. Bean sprouts will complete the vegetable portion of the stir fry, to be served over a bed or rice. That was Irving's choice when we were out doing the food shopping yesterday.



No comments:

Post a Comment