Friday, June 29, 2018

After my early-morning surgery for cataract removal in my left eye yesterday, I had to more or less step back from my usual activities. The timing of the surgery itself necessitated that we wake early to arrive at the hospital during early rush-hour traffic, at the assigned time. So we were kind of sleep-deprived all day. My husband's intention was, in the early afternoon, to take Jackie and Jillie through the ravine for their daily walk. He'd have to put them on leash to stop them from heading for home on their own initiative because I was absent.

I thought about how well I felt, and insisted that we could undertake a shorter circuit than usual and I'd take my time, since I wasn't supposed to exert myself. Actually for the following several weeks post-surgery instruction for recovery dictates against physical stress. Donning sunglasses and taking care not to bend down too low -- another no-no; my husband insisted on tying my hiking boot laces -- we set off. A perfectly lovely day, as it happened.

The morning had begun overcast and humid in the wake of all-night rain. And though light rain did come down again during the time we were in the hospital, there was no more throughout the balance of the day. The forest was wet, foliage still glistening with accumulated drops from rain, everything covered with that especial colour-enhancing sheen, looking intensely beautiful.

I did take my time, forbore from struggling uphill at speed, and felt quite well. Although the sun wasn't out, it did glimmer behind the loosely-formed clouds sending brief shafts of sunlight through the leafy canopy from time to time.
Sumac candles developing

We came across a woman we see on rare occasions, walking her little spaniel, a happy and friendly little dog. Several years ago that little dog had been set upon by a Doberman whom another acquaintance had been walking. He was in the process of developing a dog-walking service because he was getting on in age, tired and fed up with his regular job as a roofer. The woman rushed her little dog to the emergency veterinarian service nearby. The ensuing surgery and follow-up care cost her several thousand dollars. She had decided not to take the man to small-claims court, knowing he would not be able to come up with the funds to pay the vet bills.

The little fellow is just fine now, remaining her faithful companion, but she never now allows it off leash, to be able to react and control any similar such situations that might arise. As for the Doberman, attacking that little dog wasn't the only assault it was responsible for. It had bit a previous dog walker, and went on to threaten and attack other dogs as well. Eventually the owners felt they had no option but to euthanize the animal.

The dog walker who had been with the Doberman when it attacked the little terrier was able to control the dogs he walks quite well; they responded instantly to his directions; he seemed to have some special communication skills that dogs respected and he never used coercive methods. Even his dog-handling skills couldn't save this animal from the ultimate punishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment