Saturday, September 3, 2016

No lack of oops! moments of late. From discovering that someone opened a full carton of fresh milk when the already-opened one wasn't depleted of its contents, to the discovery that good gracious, what're two containers of sour cream doing in the refrigerator!


And then, the overwhelming spurt of enthusiasm from the self-generated tomato vine sitting adjacent the garden's two composters which are filled three times weekly with kitchen waste as well as garden waste. Realizing that we've got to start harvesting the plethora of baby tomatoes they're flaunting.


Yesterday morning I baked a cheesecake, for Friday-night dessert, and realized just when I was preparing to place it into the counter-top convection oven I use during the summer months that it was on 'broiler' setting which I rarely use. I set it to bake, and in doing so fully understood why it was that the vanilla cupcakes I'd baked in it the week before, for Madeleines hadn't come out well, to say the very least. Because I always keep the setting on convection bake it hadn't occurred to me to check before putting the cupcakes in to bake.


We'd had guest staying over with us the previous week, and the only explanation I can think of is that someone used the oven, changing its setting. At least I noticed it before committing the cheesecake to its baking interior. And the cheesecake then baked to perfection, which the cupcakes of the week before did not, puzzling me enormously.

Oh, and the shopping this week ended up in our having not noticed that the cheese selected was fat-reduced. Neither my husband nor I appreciate any dairy product that has been fat-reduced, but this time a few products slipped beyond our notice into our shopping basket. No harm done, other than to our taste buds.

But shopping does present its complications; checking for 'best before' dates, for the ripeness of fruits and vegetables, and spurning those that are over-the-hill; checking for ingredient lists to avoid buying products that have too much salt, too much saturated fat. It isn't that difficult to overlook the occasional food item whose purchase for us represents a diligence slip-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment