Saturday, May 31, 2014

On Thursday my ever-helpful husband found a recipe for muffins that intrigued him, and I agreed they looked promising. So on Friday morning I set about to produce them in our kitchen, using my own interpretation of how I would prefer them to be, and thus substituting some of the ingredients to suit what I had on hand and my preferences.

Here's the recipe as it was originally published, for Rhubarb Streusel Muffins.

1-1/4 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup cooking oil
1 egg
2 tsp.vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
Zest of one orange
2-2/3 cups rhubarb, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
3/4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Streusel topping:
1/3 cup raw or white sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. melted butter.
Method:
  • In a large bowl beat brown sugar, oil, egg, vanilla, buttermilk and orange zest together.
  • Stir rhubarb and pecans into mixture.
  • Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder & salt together; add to liquid mixture, stirring just to combine.
  • Preheat oven to 400 F. 
  • Make topping combining sugar, cinnamon, melted butter.
  • Scoop batter into muffin tins (I lined mine with paper cupcake shapes)
  • Sprinkle streusel mixture on top of muffins, pressing lightly.
  • Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until they're golden brown, and the tops spring back when gently pressed.
  • Serve warm
I chose to substitute Becel-brand margarine for the oil, and plain yoghurt for the buttermilk. Instead of rhubarb I used what I had on hand; frozen raspberries brought to room temperature, reducing the volume by one-third.
And, rather than use a streusel topping I chose to make a light, cream-cheese-based icing to smooth over top.

And we declared last evening's dessert a marked success; light, moist and delicious. Verrrry raspberry!


No comments:

Post a Comment