Saturday, May 11, 2013

Well, as it happens, things work out best between us when we happen to complement one the other. Not that one of us cannot attempt to be self-reliant when we can. But we do recognize that it is more efficient when one of us excels at something, or is more capable than the other, it makes common sense to take advantage of that.

So, I do the cooking, although there are times when he does some food preparation. He does, though, enjoy what I bake and prepare for our meals, we have a rather extensive repertoire, and occasionally try out new things. He is far more fastidious about food and eating and experiencing new taste sensations than I am. But he relishes food to the degree that it is a delight and a pleasure for me to present him with those recipes he most enjoys, many of which are ethnically traditional.


On the other hand, although I have taken driving lessons, and impressed him with my ability to more than adequately drive our vehicles, I have no interest in doing so. Even recognizing that it is a skill that is valuable and that being able to drive can be to both our advantages, particularly during times of some kind of emergency, I haven't been able to be sufficiently interested to pursue it. And so, I don't drive at all. Leaving me hugely dependent on him to get around. Although that never stopped me when I was on my own in places like Tokyo, where I would walk for hours, just occasionally taking a bus or a train.

He does the heavy lifting, I do the in-between. If something needs to be done around the house, shovelling snow, mowing the lawn, repairing plumbing, it isn't I who attends to it all. And that is quite apart from all the projects he takes on, from tiling floors to excavation and patio-building, installation of doors and surrounds, and anything else that can be named.


We take a mutual interest in things that are of importance to us, and always have. And we're both besotted with books and read constantly, whatever and whenever we can. As for the great out-of-doors, it's there for us to explore, to enjoy, to revel in. Increasingly he has become involved with me in doing our gardening. What a wonderful collaboration. What more could anyone ask for?


No comments:

Post a Comment