Sunday, April 28, 2013

So glad it's done and finished with. I do it so grudgingly, always have. Although I most certainly hope my demeanor is anything but when I'm out doing the canvassing. I try to appear bright and cheerful, though it's difficult to assume that attitude actually, when people who are manifestly well endowed with the wherewithal to live well, steadfastly refuse opportunities to give the merest pittance toward all manner of charitable causes, some of which they avail themselves of, as part of society.

It doesn't do to be judgemental when you're out and about canvassing for a charitable cause. It isn't entirely fair to stand in judgement of people, since we don't always know their circumstances. On the other hand, the price of a take-out sandwich or coffee that most people wouldn't think twice about spending would do well enough to proffer as a donation to any number of social causes worthy of supporting.

In any event, it's done again, for this year. And as in years past I assure myself this is the last year. I've done it for far too long; time for someone else to take up the tender flame of the social contract. True, I was far less stressed doing the door-to-door canvass on this street this year. I bypassed most of the doors that I know from long past experience I will be turned away from, mostly politely, sometimes not. There were a few that I did approach in hopes that minds would be changed, but not many. Instead I passed the threshhold of those who have given in the past, at the invitation to enter, chat, and donate.

Almost $400 donated this year on the street for the Canadian Cancer Society. I once surpassed that mark, and subsequent years have been close, but this was an exceptionally good response. Without my yet having added our own donation which will bring the total well over anything I'd previously collected. Some satisfaction in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment