Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Six months ago I made an appointment with my dentist's office to return again in six months' time for another cleaning.  The dental technicians always complain that I'm waiting too long between cleanings; while I have always felt that once during the course of the year is more than sufficient.  Their argument is that a year allows plaque to build up to a state where it's difficult for them to remove it.

Dental hygiene has always been important to us.  And we've flossed our teeth and brushed them faithfully for a lifetime.  At our age, the dentist tells us, we want to save our teeth by careful maintenance, for as long as we can, for trouble-free use into our old age.  Of course, we have moved into our old age, though it's difficult to believe.  Sometimes we feel we're still young, other times not-so-much.

Like today, and yesterday, for example.  Yesterday I did my usual whirlwind caper through our house with its three floors of living space, to do the once-a-week cleaning routine.  The protocol is: kitchen clean-up from breakfast, then quick attention to the bathrooms and from there the infinitely more lengthy process of dusting furniture and all the things we treasure set atop that furniture.  Then dry-mopping the hardwood floors, and from there vaccuuming the rugs, until finally the concluding process of washing the kitchen, the breakfast room, the foyer, the laundry room and the main bathroom floors has been done.  The latter is a breeze; dusting furniture is a drag.

And from there - why, freedom to go out to the ravine for an afternoon walk.  Usually a few minutes after three sees us in there.  And yesterday's walk was interesting for its weather; our area broke its previous record of warmth for this time of year, topping out at 18-degrees Celsius.  This morning, while having our breakfast, we watched ruefully as a snow-and-ice-pellet shower blanketed the deck with white.  But soon the sun came out under 3-degree skies, and melted it all.


The thing of it is, it was a difficult walk.  I felt devoid of energy, extremely tired, sneezed incessantly, and just as frequently blew my nose.  I was in full-throttle cold-mode.  Rare for me, since I don't often get colds.  All of my muscles ached and I felt inordinately tired.  Although I feel slightly better today, no chills and fever, I didn't think the dental technician would appreciate peering into a mouth harbouring cold germs.

So my husband will be off this afternoon to take my place for that appointment.  And my own will be re-set for several weeks' hence.

No comments:

Post a Comment