Saturday, February 4, 2012




We have shared, in total 61 years together, celebrating my husband's birthdays. From the time we were fourteen, to the celebration of his 15th birthday, each year thereafter we were together. His birthday, in fact, falls a month after mine on the calendar.

Which makes me older than him by a month, but I've never pulled chronological rank on him that I can recall. We've had a fairly egalitarian relationship as far as age is concerned. Though, truth to tell, he feels he's constantly 'catching up' to me.

So, what could I possibly gift my husband with on this, his 75th birthday? Usually I solve that conundrum with something I've prepared for him, something special, to eat. After all, the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, goes that famous saying. And, oddly enough, modern research seems to validate that quaint notion, having come to the conclusion that something prepared with love simply tastes better to the one for whom it has been prepared. And such is the case, here.

For a birthday treat, my husband thought of a chocolate-sponge jellyroll, filled with whipped cream and topped with chocolate buttercream icing. So that's what I baked. The cake batter consisting of separately beaten egg yolks and stiff whites, pastry flour and sugar, cocoa, etc., is poured over waxed paper fitted into a cookie sheet. When baked, the contents of the cookie sheet are turned over onto a waiting sheet of wax paper, dusted with sugar, sitting on a tea towel.

The baked sheet of sponge cake is then rolled, and left to cool, covered by the tea towel. After which it can be unrolled, filled with freshly whipped cream, the frosting lathered over, and viola! one has a birthday chocolate log, perfect with tea for a loving husband's birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment